viernes, 6 de mayo de 2011

How the Police Get Your Phone Records

Every time I receive a call, my cell carrier takes note of the incoming telephone number, the time, date and duration of the conversation, and---because the call is sent through a network of cell towers---my location. As it turns out, I'm also carrying the right kind of smart phone, which means my device itself jots down my spot on the earth, as well.

On top of that, not all cell phone data is created equal. Text messages newer than 180 days? Probable cause and a warrant. Text messages older than 180 days? Relevant and material for an order. What's the difference, you ask? Well, this new fangled cell phone business doesn't come bundled with an updated set of standards, so the government has been forcing twenty first century technologies into a decades-old framework. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986-the year of IBM's first laptop computer-is one of these. Long long ago, checking your email meant that you had to download it. Leaving...

Via: http://www.maximumpc.com

No hay comentarios: