jueves, 19 de agosto de 2010

Murphys Law 98 percent of enterprises use open source 29 percent contribute to the community What

A recent survey hit my radar this weekend and, I must say, I'm not that surprised by the results.

Contrary to my usual columns, I won't bury the lede: Accenture polled 300 large organizations in both the public and private sectors and---surprise!---found that half of them are fully committed� to using open-source software in their businesses.I would assume that we've created open-source� software partly as a means to distinguish it from simple free� applications that, themselves, can be walled off from third-party modification while nevertheless remaining free to download and use. That was a mouthful and, worse, it veers narrowly close to the, open-source versus free� discussion I've been trying to avoid. So allow me to simplify: If one downloads open-source, should one be compelled to contribute to the betterment of the program?Via: http://www.maximumpc.com

Source:
http://respectedadmins.com/blog/murphys-law-98-percent-of-enterprises-use-open-source-29-percent-contribute-to-the-community-what/

No hay comentarios: